The beauty of Ayurveda lies in its clear view of Ayu (life) as a sustained mixture of sareera (physical body), satva (mind), and Atma (spirit). Ayurveda aims to diagnose children with autism earlier and give them quicker diagnosis and care so that they have more options for treatment.
The Ayurvedic approach to Autism
The autistic condition(autism) has an Ayurvedic (Alternative Therapy) perspective, which implies that the treatment incorporates the balancing act of food, diet, exercise, rest, play, and sleep in treating the central nervous system disorders.
At Elite Ayurveda, the management of children affected by autism is also carried out on three main treatment lines. Autism includes therapy on a physical, emotional, and spiritual level. The successful implementation of these interventions would ensure a good result for the child.
The duration of Panchakarma therapy can range from 3 weeks to 5 weeks, depending on the severity, along with the internal drugs for approximately 2-3 years. Repetition of therapies in small classes, either individually or intermittently in combination, can
provide significant benefits and can be long-term support for the autistic child.
Autism: The ayurvedic viewpoint
Ayurveda has viewed ASD as a behavioral abnormality with its roots situated in the defective neuropsychological system and disorder in the digestive and metabolic system Autism, typical or atypical disabilities and other autistic disorders fall into the category of Unmada(according to Ayurveda).
where one or more of the mental abilities go wrong. The whole concept of unmada incorporates various types of inappropriate behavior shown by the person as a result of the distortion of the normal mind, intellect, conscious awareness, memory, desire, manner, and behavior.
In the concept of unmada, we see some of the affected faculties that can be seen in Autism spectrum disorders. That involve impairments of
- Manas – mind-total or partial loss of sensory perception
- Buddhi—intellect—partially affected—could be irregular as shown in savant skill.
- Samjna Jnana – an aware presence – seen to be lost in their own environment, barring one or more
- Bhakti – ability – inherent willingness to connect with others
- Seela – manners – socially inappropriate outbursts and adherence to strict rigid routines.
- Cheshta – Activities – Motor stereotypes that are improper and compulsive
- Achara – learned skills – poor socialization skills, failure to obey orders, loss of healthy habits, etc.
- Knowledge of acquisition (Jnanotpathi), one of Manas' essential roles, is disrupted in Unmada.
- Jnanotpathi occurs only when Manas is in tune with Atma (soul), Indriya (sense organ), and Indriyartha (objects).
In the etiopathology of Unmada and ASD, the definition of genetic deficiencies (Beeja dushti), antenatal psychological stress, non-congenial dietetics (Virudha ahara) disrupting metabolism (gut-brain axis), defective parental psychological background (parental genetic makeup) and a defective child-rearing mechanism (refrigerated parentage, neglected childhood, monitoring addiction) play a
Ayurveda claims that, in addition to the diet and activities of the pregnant woman, her mental state plays a significant role in the development of wellbeing and disease – both mentally and physically in
Preventative considerations before conception:
Consanguineous marriages were prohibited in Ayurveda not only by Charaka and Sushruta but by biologists. Acharya Bhela made clear that consanguineous marriages should be avoided to prevent psychological disorders. Ayurveda gives primary importance to periconceptional practices followed by father and mother, the time of conception, role of parents during coitus, bad aharvihara contributes to mental illness. Preconception counseling should be given.
Preventing during pregnancy:
In the sense of Garbhopghatkarbhavas, Acharya Charaka Majja bhava and atmaj bhava may cause autism as a disorder, it has also been recommended to avoid various defective dietary regimens, otherwise, they may lead to absorption of childbirth and various psychological disorders, e.g. Excessive sleep, over-consumption of alcohol by a pregnant woman can result in low IQ, poor memory, or hyperactivity. In the fourth month of pregnancy, the fetal heart, which is the seat of consciousness, becomes active, thus expressing its desires through the mother, which is called Daurhruda. The wishes and wishes of Daurhrudini, if not honored and satisfied, can lead to autism.
Prevention during delivery:
Mostly during the second stage of labor, Sushruta pointed out that instruction to relieve the pain of women with Assanaprasava can result in psychological abnormality.
Prevention during the neonatal phase of the child:
In this regard, in Ayurveda Neonatology, the ultimate first-line treatment of the neonatal baby is to support respiration called Pranpratyagamana
(resuscitation) the method in the mode of cleaning Mukhasleshma and physical stimuli along with Pranvayu (oxygen) with the aid of the hollow tube of Krishnakapalikasupa in order to avoid the birth of Asphyxia which causes autism.
On the Ayurveda Dhee dhairya atmadi vijnam Manaoushodham param. Therefore, the key remedy is
adequate counseling and the use of particular medhya rasayanas recommended.
Autism Treatment through Ayurveda
There are three main therapeutic streams promoted by Ayurveda in the treatment of Autism
Spectrum Disorders (Unamada). They’re:
- Daiva Vyapasraya (Confidence Building Treatment)-rites and rituals to fend off unknown evil powers (environmental forces like microorganisms) and also to secure the mind and the body.
- Yukti Vyapasraya (rational medical management)-rational prescribing of medications, therapies, diet, and activities to maintain the body balance.
- Satvavajaya (Mind or Self-Management Techniques)-cognitive, behavioral, and spiritual skills and training strategies for the development and maintenance of mental faculties.
Rational treatment of Ayurveda is performed in four sections. They’re:
- Dosha for pacifying therapy (Samsamana)
- Bio cleaning Therapy (Samsodhana or Panchakarma)
- Evitation of causative factors (Nidana Parivarjana)
- Favorable diets and lifestyles (Pathya Aharavihara)
Ayurveda focuses on the treatment of the root cause and not the symptom alone. Ayurveda is a guiding light for a healthy lifestyle. It treats the root cause and not the symptom alone. This science proposes about three pillars of the human body, i.e Vata, Pitta, and Kapha doshas. At EliteAyurveda
- Every Autism patient is treated with the utmost care and to the best by experts.
- The members of our medical team have undergone extensive training in caring for autism.
- We use the best herbal formulations which are chemical-free & steroid-free, thus assuring the safety of your usage.
How Autism treatment at EliteAyurveda is different?
Autism treatments at EliteAyurveda are more detailed than elsewhere. This comprises both prevention and treatment methods. 85% of patients who received allopathic, homeopathic & other treatments earlier recommend Elite Ayurveda® as the best solution to their problem.
Also, look at Related Articles: